Powered By Blogger

Monday 14 March 2011

'Inanimate Alice' - Preview of Coming Attractions


Sometime you’ve just got to let the kids speak for themselves. Digital Narratives due, hopefully, by Friday, after our Red Carpet Premiere, Period Two.


Morgan
‘Alice watched as the beautiful Scottish countryside whizzed past the train window into the heart of Glasgow. Although she wasn’t concentrating on any of the massive green fields containing lovely little lambs and their mothers or the horses that resembled Black Beauty, her favourite childhood book. Alice was thinking about the most important thing that was happening in her life so far and it was happening today...’

Craig
‘I’m being chased by a boy that I met on a plane on my journey to see my mum. I’ve been running for ages and I’m starting to find it hard to breathe. He is right behind me and I can feel him breathing down my neck. It is dark; however, I can still see the faint shadow of the boy behind me. I sprint round a few corners but my energy is wearing thin. I suddenly stop...I take a breath...And turn round. That faint shadow has gone.  My heart is racing and my legs are shaking like jelly...’

Catherine
‘Alice can’t concentrate on anything at the moment, not even the Sudoku puzzle in front of her. She is too excited. If this day goes well, her life will completely change. Most seventeen year olds would be panicking at this moment in time, but not Alice; she is very confident that this day will go well. After moving to Edinburgh, Scotland, Alice has become a much happier person. She even has a job, she works at the Apple Store in Glasgow and she finds out if she gets a promotion today. That is why she is excited. If she gets this job she will be an App Designer...’

Beth
‘I don’t enjoy being alone, but what’s worse is being alone in the dark. Today was supposed to be an amazing day. Now, I just want it to be over. Nikki and I spent ages planning to go to a theme park for a day. Nikki’s my best friend; we do everything together. It took ages to convince Ming and John to let me go today, after what happened when we lived in England. I promised them I’d be really careful, that I wouldn’t do anything stupid...’

Marc
‘I’m really excited. I’ve never been on a trip like this before. I’m even more excited because my parents are coming with me! We never go on trips together. The last trip we all went on was when we flew over here from Russia, but that wasn’t really a trip.
Let’s see, have I got everything I need? Book? Check! Extra Shoes? Check? Ba-xi? Check? Water bottle? Oh no, I’ve forgotten my water! I’ll need to rush back quickly to get it...’

Teachers, do you know those days you get when you are reminded that you have the best job in the world? Today was one of those. I’ve a feeling Friday might top it, though.

3 comments:

  1. This is excellent stuff. I look forward to seeing the Premiere in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic! I'd be very interested in seeing the complete narratives - will you be posting them on your blog? I am an EFL teacher working in Portugal and have used Inanimate Alice with a group of students while we were working on the topic of books and reading. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, the students didn't have the chance to create their own digital narratives, but I would like to experiment with that next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beverley,
    Sorry i didn't reply immediately to your post. End of term meant things were a bit rushed. Thanks so much for your kind words. I hope to post a link to the stories very soon,
    Kenny

    ReplyDelete